Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Red Lobster: Introducing the Characters

I've been keeping a livejournal for many years now, and I've decided to start fresh.

So while my electric blanket is warming up my bed, I'll tell you a story.

I work at Red Lobster. March marks a year and a half. And let me tell you about some of the characters I have met during that time...

Warren was an AC (alley coordinator). He would bump food out of the window before it was taken, so on very busy nights, food would disappear from the window and frolic of to other people's tables as no one could tell where it was supposed to go. He was very good at invading people's personal space, particularly if you were female. I would be minding my own business, making a salad, wondering if I should take tea by table 34... when all of a sudden, before I had any time to react, I would feel a warm body behind me and hot... moist... breath on my ear and a low black voice saying "you make that salad good". I would sidle away from him, thanking him with a complete absence of warmth and leaving a cloud of dust behind me as I ran. Ca-reepy!

Yuri was another prize AC. When he first started working there I was like "hey, cute Russian boy... yum...". And then he started talking. He one-upped Warren on the creep factor simply because where Warren wouldn't actually make an unwanted move, Yuri would. Homeboy flat out told me at work after I (regretfully) invited him to a New Year's party that he "wanted to go back to my place and you know uhh... have sex". Whoa. He also wiped us out of about 5 gallons of ice cream a week, and once a full bag of parmesan cheese he spilled on the floor and then proceeded to toe into a line and photograph.

And then there's Kathy. Our dear beloved Kathy. She has been working as a host at the Red Lobster where I am currently employed for approximately 14 years. Her total service time to the corporation is hotly debated amongst the servers. She remembers when the servers wore sailor suits and steak and lobster was $8.50. She's 50ish but appears on the verge of 70, acts about as immature as the servers and is one pill popping crazy lady. I caught a glimpse into her purse a few weeks ago and, on first glance, counted five prescription bottles. She told me once that she takes Xanax for headaches.

More to come... my luxurious walmart futon is warm and awaits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment